"Take advantage of opportunity!"

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lesson 7: Worldcat and more 1st Search Indexes

Hello! It's always good to learn new things right in front of my nose, thank you!
Discovery Exercise part 1
1.) There are 23 ways in the drop down menu to search in each box. Each box has the same 23 ways, which makes the combination of searches astronomical.
2.) I chose the book Good Night Moon, 8 records were located. Of the #1 title, 2201 libraries worldwide own and the first library listed, as South Dakota lists first, is AML.
3.) The call number is LC:PZ7.B8163 and Dewey: E. I clicked on the Authors name (Margaret Wise Brown) bringing in several other titles she had written. The Runaway Bunny; Big Red Barn...listing 10 titles. Clicking on the subject, giving several, I started with Picture Books resulting in 8,655 results available in a variety of formats ranging from archival, serials, computer, maps, scores and sound for example Skippyjon Jones. If you're not familiar with Skippyjon Jones he is a Siamese cat with quite a wild imagination, El Skippito.

Other FirstSearch Indexes
I looked at ERIC and then MEDLINE in which the "i" disappeared, so I searched just as I would for WorldCat, using the same drop down arrow searches. When the "i" reappeared I noted the last update was 12/9/10. Search from 1950 to present and over 18 million and counting records. MEDLINE is all medicine including nursing and dentistry.

Discovery Exercise part 2
OAIster, oyster. This is neat! Typing in as directed (Subject phrase, South Dakota) I chose a curious title: Log Shanty with Flag, Woman and Seven Boys clicking on the link next to Access (electronic link) a wonderful dust colored photo appeared. Sure enough a woman, standing in front of a one room log school house with 7 boys and a flag whipping in the wind. I enlarged the picture to see facial expressions, circa 1908. Though this was listed in Minnesota Reflections, a descriptor listed as a possible school house in South Dakota. This brought a whole new meaning to search and rescue of some great findings!

Other blogs: A few have posted about lesson #7. Clueless chose an interesting title that I nearly chose, could the Lobo Vault be an archive with password protection?
StillLearning chose in OAIster a title that gave an odd message. The State Library has the title: "Effects of Maintenance Treatments on Asphalt, Concrete Pavement Management". It's a 2001 state document. If you're interested you can ILL, the call number is SD TD 125:SD2001-03-F (OC#81256492). A mystery no longer, a good bedtime read, put you right out!

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Pub Place, thanks so much for your good comments here. (And Viva El Skippito!) You are right about the myriad combinations of searches possible in WorldCat, and you are right about the LoboVault being password protected. We still think OAIster has some interesting info for serious researchers.